We are a research group in the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC) dedicated to the study of promoting health and improving people’s quality of life through the use of information and communication technologies (ICT). We have a clear mission of service to the community and provide a psychological view of the use of ICT in the healthcare field to professionals, researchers and society in general.
PSiNET was created in 2002 to align with the UOC strategy of promoting research about the Internet and the Information and Knowledge Society. Therefore, it is affiliated with IN3, as this centre specializes in the study of the Internet and the effects of the interaction of digital technology with human activity.
Initially, the research group focused on the analysis of the available information about health on the Internet. Since then, the research has branched out to the study of lifestyle choices, health, quality of life, and the different approaches to the use of the internet for the improvement of knowledge and the promotion of health and illness processes.
Today, PSiNET is a group concerned with the analysis of the use of ICT for health in different populations (e.g. rare diseases, chronic pain, children, adolescents, and the elderly), from both a professional perspective and that of ordinary citizens (ePatient), in different contexts, (e.g. work, sports) and dealing with organizational and personal aspects (e.g. how the use of ICT affects cognitive processes). For this reason, the research group works on different levels in approaching the study objective, including the analysis of personal factors, intervention programs, conceptual models or research methodologies.
The members of our team take part in different associations and international networks, and they are committee members and editors of national and international scientific projects and journals. Some of the institutions and publications we collaborate with are:
- ALOMA. Revista de Psicologia, Ciències de l’Educació i l’Esport.
- Anuario de Psicología.
- Col·legi Oficial de Psicòlegs de Catalunya.
- Cultura y Educación.
- Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking.
- European Society on Developmental Psychology.
- Health Expectations.
- International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP).
- International Review of Social Research.
- ISRN Pain.
- Journal of Biomedical Informatics.
- Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice.
- Medicine 2.0.
- Premio Huarte de San Juan de la Sociedad Española de Historia de la Psicología.
- Revista de Psicología General y Aplicada.
- Society for Participatory Medicine.